Beet and Goat Cheese Salad
A couple weeks ago I shared how I make a weeks worth of lunch salads for my family every Sunday. Well this week it was beet and goat cheese to compliment the base salad.
I was in the grocery store Sunday afternoon and saw these beautiful, dark red beets with bright green tops. I stood there just staring at them, thinking about how I could use them when I hear a man say "just get them." I ask, "Excuse me?" And he proceeds to state, "You are looking at those beets the same way my wife looks at shoes." I chuckled, plucked a bunch from the case and off I went . . . smiling.
Beets are a personal favorite, they are earthy and oh so colorful. As a child, they were a summer staple in the fridge, pickled and paired with eggs in giant glass jars by both my mother and grandmother. A quick and easy snack in the afternoon or a side to lunch.
For a quick salad addition, I simply tossed them with balsamic reduction, added a pinch of sugar and layered them on my salad with crumbled goat cheese and some black walnuts.
- [url href="http://www.peoniesandpears.com/?p=313" target="_blank"]Base Salad[/url]
- 3 Tbsp [url href="http://www.peoniesandpears.com/?p=330" target="_blank"]balsamic reduction[/url]
- 3 oz crumbled goat cheese
- 3 medium beets, tops removed, peeled and quartered
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 3 Tbsp black walnuts
- Add beets to a saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until fork tender.
- Meanwhile, prepare base salad of greens, tomatoes and cucumber.
- When beets are cooked, rinse with cold water to cool.
- Place in a bowl and toss with balsamic reduction, add sugar and mix.
- Divide among salads.
- Add goat cheese and nuts.
- Store in refrigerator.